Page last updated Sep 6, 2019 @ 09:29pm
2018 Outage News
The North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) compiles reports
on outages. Click to go to their web site for a list of outages sorted by year.
The following is a list of news summaries of some major power outages and related
stories as reported in the media for this time period. The most recent are listed
- Start prepping! Electric grid 'prime target' of
terrorists, says DHS
In a new DHS report that warns that the electric grid is the “prime target” of terrorists, Americans are being urged prepare for the up to six months without electricity, transportation, fuel, money and healthcare. “There needs to be more individual accountability for preparedness,” adds the report,
“Surviving a Catastrophic Power
Outage,” from the President’s National Infrastructure Advisory Council and published by the Department of Homeland Security. It looked at the potential of a power outage of up to six months..." The report is the second in one month to warn of a “profound threat” to the electric grid from terrorism and naturally occurring events like a solar storm or flare. A prior governmental report also called for presidential action to protect the grid. That report warned of a threat to world order in an attack. Some of those warnings from the report are below:
* There is a misconception that events occur infrequently.
* There needs to be more individual accountability for preparedness.
* Resilience at the state and local level will be critical to enable people to shelter in place and facilitate faster recovery. Any event that requires a mass evacuation will use up critical resources, clog transportation pathways, and reduce the workforce necessary for infrastructure recovery.
* Electricity, fuel, clean drinking water, wastewater services, food/refrigeration, emergency medical services, communications capabilities, and some access to financial services have been identified as critical lifeline services that would be needed to sustain local communities and prevent mass migration..
Examiner, December 10, 2018.
- Over 1 million U.S. customers without power after Michael
More than 1 million homes and businesses on the U.S. East Coast were without power on Friday after Hurricane Michael and its remnants moved from Florida to Virginia. Some customers in the hardest hit parts of Florida may have to wait weeks for power to be restored, the utilities said. Michael blew ashore near Mexico Beach on Wednesday afternoon as probably the third most powerful storm in U.S. history, with winds of up to 155 miles per hour.
Michael grew from a tropical storm to a Category 4 hurricane on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale in less than two days.
reports such as Reuters,
October 11, 2018.
Are YOU ready for the next power outage?
We welcome your feedback or questions. Click here to contact us.
See our Terms & Conditions before using information or
ordering from this web site.
Copyright © 1999-2016 NoOutage.com LLC. All rights reserved.